Portable Pizza Ovens
Why Buy A Pizza Oven?
The oven in your kitchen is more than capable of warming up your go-to frozen pizza. It’s been your most-used kitchen appliance and hasn’t let you down yet. So why should you consider buying a portable pizza oven?
First, let us say that there is nothing wrong with making pizza in a standard oven. In fact, you can certainly make a delicious pie without buying an additional stand-alone appliance. But if you’re a pizza fanatic who jumps at every opportunity to craft homemade pizza or a pizza lover who craves restaurant-quality pizza several times a week, a home pizza oven should be your next kitchen investment.
Most home ovens are incapable of reaching temperatures higher than 500 degrees and give you just one fuel option. Pizza ovens can reach extremely high temperatures, some as high as 950 degrees F. With that kind of heat, you can craft authentic restaurant-quality sourdough pizza in minutes. Plus, you can choose between different fuel types for maximum versatility.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Pizza Oven
There are several factors to consider when shopping for a pizza oven. To find the right pizza oven for your family, think about what features are most important to you, how often you plan on using the pizza oven, and how much space you have in your home or your backyard.
The size of the pizza oven you purchase determines the size of the pizzas you can cook with it. For this reason, you may gravitate toward a large pizza oven. But before you make your final decision, consider where you plan on using it. Portable pizza ovens come in all shapes and sizes and not all can be easily moved from one spot to another. Consider just how portable the oven is in terms of its weight and overall size, as well as whether it can be stored easily.
While shopping for a pizza oven, you will come across ovens that can only be used outside. If you like to entertain in your backyard, there are plenty of great outdoor models. If you prefer to cook indoors, you’ll have to pass on home pizza ovens that use wood or gas for fuel, but there are still several great options to choose from.
Another important factor to consider when buying a pizza oven is the temperature range. For the most authentic, restaurant-quality pizza, you will need a pizza oven that reaches extreme temperatures. These ovens, like the Ooni Pro, reach temperatures so high, they can cook a fresh Neapolitan pizza in as little as 60 seconds. On the other hand, ovens that maintain lower temperatures are great for baking or cooking other entrees.
You will also want to consider the various features and accessories of each pizza oven. There are basic models that require minimal effort to use and there are advanced ovens with numerous options to give you more control of the way your pizza cooks. You will also find that some pizza ovens come with accessories like stones, peels, trays, thermometers, and more, to further enhance your experience.
Lastly, you should think about how much you are willing to spend on a pizza oven. There are pizza ovens available for less than $100, but the most outstanding models typically cost a few hundred dollars. There are also high-end models that will set you back thousands of dollars, but you don’t have to go broke to own a quality appliance. Consider how much you can afford to spend and then choose between the available options within your price range.
Best Pizza Ovens (2021)
Best Overall – Ooni Pro Pizza Oven
Ooni is an Instagram-famous brand with pizza ovens that live up to the hype. Our pick for the best overall pizza oven is the biggest and best Ooni pizza oven of them all: the Ooni Pro. This impressive pizza oven can run on wood, charcoal, or gas.
The Ooni Pro reaches temperatures up to 950°F (500°C). At such extreme temperatures, you can cook a pizza in as little as 60 seconds. It takes just 20 minutes for the Ooni Pro to preheat, which means you can have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes. And we’re not talking about mediocre dinner either; with the Ooni Pro, you can create restaurant-quality stone-baked pizza without ever having to leave home.
To cook with gas, you will need to purchase the Ooni Pro 16 Gas Burner that is sold separately. The Ooni Pro is not compatible with pellet fuels or natural gas.
- Multiple fuel options
- Reaches 950°F (500°C) in 20 minutes
- Extra-large cooking space to cook 16” pizzas, roast meats, and more
- Glass door with attached thermometer for easy temperature monitoring
- Pizza door with letterbox opening to make it easy to slide pizzas in and out of the oven
- Constructed with rustproof brushed stainless-steel
- Insulated body for maximum heat retention and energy efficiency
- Three legs to support and stabilize the oven on any surface
- FSC-certified wood handles
- 28.7 x 19.2 x 30.7” (with chimney included and legs extended)
- 17.7 x 17.7” cooking surface
- 48.5 pounds
- 0’6” thick cordierite stone baking boards
- Two doors: a post-box entry pizza door and a door with a viewing pane and built-in thermometer
Best for Beginners – Ooni Koda 12 Pizza Oven
Also designed by the Instagram-famous brand Ooni is our pick for the best pizza oven for beginners: the Ooni Koda 12.
The Ooni Koda reaches 950°F (500°C) in just 15 minutes and cooks fresh pizza in 60 seconds. Like with the Ooni Pro, the Ooni Koda makes it easy to get dinner on the table quicker and easier than ever before. The Ooni Koda is ready to use right out of the box and is easy to use, no matter what you’re cooking.
The Ooni Koda runs on gas, which makes it easy to control the temperature. Just turn the heat up or down with the heat control dial to set the oven temperature. Plus, clean-up is a breeze since there is no fuel residue left after cooking with the Ooni Koda.
- Gas fueled
- Reaches 950°F (500°C) in 15 minutes
- Commercial grade cold-rolled carbon steel shell with high-temperature resistant, powder-coated finish
- Built-in Flake Safety Device (FSD) will automatically cut off the gas supply to the oven if the flame goes out while the gas is still on
- Compatible with large propane tanks as well as 1lb propane tanks (with an adaptor) – Not compatible with natural gas
- 23.2 x 15.5 x 11.7”
- 13.2” cooking surface
- 20.2 pounds
- 10mm cordierite stone baking board
Best for Small Spaces – Breville Smart Oven Pizzaiolo
Breville claims that its Pizzaiolo is “the first domestic countertop oven to reach 750°F” with the ability to cook a wood-fired style pizza in just two minutes. The Pizzaiolo works like a brick oven by using three different types of heat: conductive, radiant, and convective.
The dynamic deck of the Pizzaiolo is independently controlled and is placed right above the heating elements. The cordierite stone heats fast and maintains an even temperature so that your pizza’s crust is cooked just the way you like, with the perfect amount of char.
The Pizzaiolo also uses intense radiant heat that saves you from having to rotate your pizza while it cooks. Angular reflectors further intensify the heat and ensure that the edges of your crust are cooked to perfection.
The convective heat of the Pizzaiolo is responsible for making sure the toppings of your pizza are perfectly baked. The deflector shield protects your toppings from burning while the entire convective element ensures your cheese and crust are evenly browned.
A major component of the Breville Pizzaiolo is the Element iQ system that helps ensure your pizza, regardless of what type of pizza it is, comes out perfectly cooked every time. The Element iQ system directs power to areas within the oven that need it. This unique system uses sensors, PID temperature control, and deflector technology. What this means for you is that this system uses smart technology to adjust the heating elements as needed to cook your pizza perfectly.
- Compact, countertop design with removable natural cordierite stone deck
- Can reach 750°F and cook a wood-fired-style pizza in two minutes
- Replicates three types of heat – conductive, radiant, and convective
- Double-pane heat-resistant front window and well-insulated body to maintain extreme temperatures inside the oven while preventing the outside surfaces from getting too hot
- Feature settings for different pizza styles (frozen, New York, pan, thin and crispy, and wood-fired)
- Element IQ system creates the ideal cooking environment
- 18.1 x 18.5 x 10.6”
- 37 lb. 7.5 oz.
- Cooking surface accommodates a 12” pizza
Gozney Roccbox Gas Fired Portable Outdoor Pizza Oven
The Gozney Roccbox is another standout portable pizza oven for pizza lovers who want to enjoy restaurant-quality pizza in their own backyard.
The Roccbox has two fuel options – gas and wood. It’s made of high-grade 304 stainless steel and weighs 44 pounds. Under perfection conditions, the Roccbox can reach a maximum temperature of 950°F in 15 minutes, but it typically takes 20-30 minutes.
The cooking surface of the Roccbox isn’t as large as other popular portable pizza ovens, like the Ooni Pro, but it features similar folding tripod legs for easy storage. The retractable legs, detachable burner, and built-in thermometer make the Roccbox a great option for pizza lovers who want to take their oven with them wherever they go.
- Reaches a maximum temperature of 950°F (500°C) in 20-30 minutes (around 40 minutes when using wood)
- Gas burner comes standard – detachable wood burner accessory can be purchased separately
- Can cook authentic Neapolitan pizza in just 60 seconds
- Rolling flame, combined with the height of the ceiling, the shape of the dome, and unique baffle plate technology, create the ideal flame for evenly cooking the perfect pizza
- Built-in, underfloor thermometer for precise temperature monitoring
- Detachable burner system is easily removed when switching between wood and gas
- Safe-touch silicone jacket makes the Roccbox more family-friendly
- 16.3 x 21 x 18.6”
- 12.4 x 13.4” cooking surface
- 19mm cordierite stone
Ooni Karu Outdoor Pizza Oven
The Ooni Karu is an exceptional outdoor pizza oven that cooks wood-fired, stone-baked pizza in as little as 60 seconds. The Karu is fueled by real wood or charcoal and takes just 15 minutes to preheat. It can also be fueled by gas, but you’ll have to purchase the separate Ooni Gas Burner attachment.
The Ooni Karu has a custome-designed fuel tray that ensures optimum airflow to maintain a powerful flame. Because of the extremely high temperatures inside the oven, there is very little ash to clean up.
The Ooni Karu weighs just over 26 pounds, which makes it portable enough to easily move it from one outdoor space to another.
- Several fuel options for maximum flexibility
- Can be used right out of the box with wood or charcoal, or with gas with the Ooni Gas Burner (sold separately)
- Reaches 950°F (500°C) in 15 minutes
- Cooks a fresh, stone-baked pizza in just 60 seconds
- Portable yet powerful
- Made of brushed 430 stainless steel and glass-reinforced nylon
- 28.7 x 15.7 x 26.6”
- 13.2” cooking surface
- 0.6” cordierite stone baking board
Presto Pizzazz Plus Rotating Oven
For pizza lovers on a tight budget, the Presto Pizzazz Plus Rotating Oven is a great tool to have in your kitchen. This oven is great for baking all types of pizza, from frozen to fresh, as well as bread, chicken, sandwiches, and so much more.
What makes the Pizzazz Plus Rotating Oven especially unique is the separately controlled heating elements. You can adjust the top and bottom heating elements independently to cook both your toppings and your crust to your liking. Because the model rotates as it cooks, you can be sure your pizza will be cooked evenly every time.
- Separately controlled top and bottom heating elements bake foods from both sides
- Timer turns heating elements off and alerts you when your pizza is ready
- Rotating tray continually turns the pizza for even cooking
- No preheating required
- Can save as much as 60% in energy compared to conventional ovens
- Removable nonstick baking pan for easy cleanup and storage
- 13.37 x 18.86 x 8.87”
- Cooking space accommodates pizzas up to 12”
Napoli Bertello Pizza Oven
The Bertello Pizza Oven is one of the newest pizza ovens on the market today. The Bertello can use wood chips, charcoal, or propane gas and is capable of cooking everything from pizza to fish and vegetables as well as dessert.
The Bertello is lightweight and extremely portable, and with temperatures over 900 degrees, you can make restaurant-quality pizza in virtually any outdoor setting.
- Gas, charcoal, and wood-fired portable outdoor pizza oven cooker
- Temperatures reach 930 degrees F
- Cooks pizza in 90 seconds or less
- Thick, fully-insulated walls, ceiling, and floor for optimal heat retention
- Legs fold up for easy storage
- Cordierite stone, wood chip/pellet scoop, and wood/charcoal/pellet tray included
- 22 x 14 x 10.5”
- 12.5 x 13.5” cooking surface
Alfresco Countertop Pizza Oven Plus
There are pizza ovens to fit every budget, including the top-of-the-line Alfresco Countertop Pizza Oven Plus that will set you back nearly $7,000. If you can look past the shocking price, you’ll understand why so many people are willing to spend that much on a countertop pizza oven.
The Alfresco Pizza Oven Plus ovens were specifically designed to be the highest-performing and most versatile gas-fired ovens available. The countertop oven preheats in 15 minutes and reaches over 1,000 F. This truly remarkable home pizza oven has just one catch: it weighs 265 pounds so it lacks the portability of many of the other popular home pizza ovens in the market.
- Gas log mimics a fireplace to absorb and quickly accelerate the preheat time as it distributes heat to the ceiling for intense top-down heat
- ¾” thick high-quality ceramic slab hearth and ceiling
- 304 18-8 heli-arc welded stainless steel
- Full 8.5” opening with stainless steel-framed glass doors
- Countertop rear exhaust
- High-performance tub-log burner
- High-heat ceramic infrared hearth burner
- Removable hinges/doors
- Double-walled removable top
- Halogen oven light
- Available fuel types include liquid propane or natural gas
- 30 x 30 x 24”
- 456 sq. in. of cooking space
Twin Eagles Salamangrill
The Salamangrill by Twin Eagles deserves a class all its own. This unit is so much more than just a pizza oven and if you can afford the large price tag, it’s well worth the cost.
The Twin Eagles Salamangrill features an infrared burner mounted over the cooking grid to ensure food is cooked to perfection. The Salamangrill can produce up to 1700 degrees of heat in just 90 seconds, making it ideal for maximizing flavor with minimal effort.
The infrared burner of the Salamangrill has a powerful BTU output of 15,000 which makes it more than capable of cooking pizza, steak, chicken, fish, and more. The 13” pizza stone allows you to cook authentic restaurant-quality pizzas at home in your outdoor kitchen.
- Four level position carriage
- 15,000 BTU infrared burner
- Cooking grate rolls in and out for easier food placement
- 24 x 21 x 22”
- 13” pizza stone included
Camp Chef Italia Artisan Portable Propane Outdoor Pizza Oven
The Italia Artisan Pizza Oven was designed to bring authentic artisan-style pizza to your backyard. This oven is full of features that mimic the performance of a wood-fired brick oven, including double walls and uniquely designed burners. However, unlike a wood-fired brick oven, this home pizza oven has micro-adjust valves that give you greater heat control so you’re less likely to burn your pizza.
Although best-known as a pizza oven, the Italia Artisan Pizza Oven is great for baking bread, roasting meat, and so much more. It can reach temperatures up to 700 F and preheats in just 15 minutes. It is compatible with a portable propane tank as well as a standard bulk propane tank with the regulator and 5-foot hose.
- Can reach temperatures up to 700° F
- Preheats in 15 minutes
- Double-layered ceiling to mimic the heating dynamics of a brick oven
- Built-in valve ignition/micro-adjust valve offer optimal flame control
- Stainless-steel body is sturdy and easy to clean
- Fueled by a 1lb disposable propane bottle (Regulator and 5 ft. hose are included for use with a standard bulk propane tank)
- 15 x 26 x 16”
- 13.25 x 20” cooking surface
BakerStone Portable Gas Pizza Oven Box
The BakerStone Portable Gas Pizza Oven Box lets you indulge in mouth-watering, homemade, wood-fired pizza anytime, in virtually any outdoor cooking space. This portable pizza oven was designed to reach high temperatures quickly and cook food fast, just like a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
The Pizza Oven Box has two stainless-steel burners as well as the Original Series Pizza Oven Box that can be removed and used as a grill top accessory. By removing the Pizza Oven Box and replacing it with the BakerStone Original Series Cast Iron Griddle (sold separately), you can also convert your oven to a Portable Gas Griddle. This is easily one of the most versatile pizza ovens available.
- Patented 5-sided stone baking chamber
- Uses convective, conductive, and radiant heat
- Bakes pizza, breads, meat, vegetable, fish, and more
- Creates pizzeria quality pizzas in as little as 90 seconds
- Can reach temperatures up to 900 F
- 25,000 BTU’s of cooking power
- 2 large stainless-steel burners
- Folding legs for easy transport and compact storage
- Uses liquid propane gas
- 21.7 x 22.2 x 17.7”
- Interior baking chamber 15 x 13 ¾ x 3”