Homemade Bagel Pizza: A Delicious Twist on a Classic Favorite
Who says pizza has to be limited to a traditional crust? Introducing homemade bagel pizza, a tasty and versatile alternative that’s perfect for parties, family dinners, and quick snacks. From bagel pizza bites to full-sized creations, this article covers everything you need to know about making pizza bagels in the oven, air fryer, and microwave. Plus, we’ll discuss gluten-free options and a variety of topping ideas to make your bagel pizza truly unique.
- Homemade bagel pizzas are a versatile alternative to traditional pizza with various cooking methods. If you’re looking to perfect your traditional pizza-making skills, read our guide on mastering the science behind the perfect pizza base.
- Experiment with a variety of pizza bagel toppings for unique and delicious creations.
- Use gluten-free bagels for those with dietary restrictions.
- Mini pizzas and bagel bites are perfect for parties, snacks, or appetizers.
- Adjust cooking times based on the method used (oven, air fryer, microwave, or toaster oven).
Are Pizza Bagels a Thing? #
You bet they are! Bagel pizzas have been popular for years, and it’s easy to see why. Combining the chewy texture of a bagel with your favorite pizza toppings creates a delightful fusion that’s both satisfying and convenient.
The Basic Homemade Bagel Pizza Recipe #
Before we dive into different methods and variations, let’s start with a simple pizza bagel recipe that works with most cooking methods:
- Cut a bagel in half.
- Spread pizza sauce on each half.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Add toppings of your choice (pepperoni, veggies, etc.).
- Cook using your preferred method (oven, air fryer, microwave, or toaster oven).
Do You Toast Bagels Before Making Pizza Bagels? #
Toasting the bagels before adding toppings isn’t necessary, but it can help prevent them from getting soggy. If you prefer a crispier crust, toast your bagels for a couple of minutes before adding the pizza sauce and toppings.
How to Make Pizza Bagels in the Oven #
Baking pizza bagels in the oven is easy and provides great results. Follow these simple steps for how to make pizza bagels in the oven:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place the prepared bagel halves on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
To ensure even cooking, position the baking sheet on the middle oven rack. Keep an eye on your bagel pizzas to avoid overcooking or burning.
Homemade Pizza Bagels Air Fryer Method #
Air fryers have gained popularity for their quick cooking times and ability to produce crispy results. Here’s how to air fry homemade pizza bagels:
- Preheat your air fryer to 360°F (180°C).
- Place the prepared bagel halves in the air fryer basket, leaving some space between them.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden.
How Long to Air Fry Homemade Pizza Bagel? #
The ideal cooking time depends on your air fryer and the thickness of your toppings. Start with 5 minutes, then check the pizza bagels and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
How to Make Pizza Bagels in the Microwave #
If you’re in a hurry or don’t have access to an oven or air fryer, you can make pizza bagels in the microwave. Here’s how to make pizza bagels in the microwave:
- Place the prepared bagel halves on a microwave-safe plate.
- Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Keep in mind that microwaving can result in a softer, less crispy crust.
Pizza Bagel Recipe Toaster Oven #
A toaster oven is another convenient option for making pizza bagels. Here’s a simple pizza bagel recipe toaster oven method:
Preheat your toaster oven to 375°F (190°C)
Place the prepared bagel halves on a toaster oven tray or a piece of aluminum foil.
Cook for 5-8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Can You Put Pizza Bagels in the Toaster? #
It’s not recommended to cook pizza bagels directly in a standard toaster, as the toppings may fall into the toaster and create a mess or a fire hazard. Stick to a toaster oven or the other methods mentioned above.
Frozen Pizza Bagels in Oven #
If you’ve prepared pizza bagels ahead of time or purchased frozen pizza bagels, you can cook them in the oven. Follow these steps for heating frozen pizza bagels in the oven:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place the frozen pizza bagels on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Pizza Bagel Topping Ideas #
Get creative with your homemade bagel pizzas by trying various pizza bagel topping ideas. Some popular options include:
- Pepperoni pizza: classic pepperoni slices, mozzarella cheese, and pizza sauce
- Veggie pizza: bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, olives, and tomatoes
- BBQ chicken pizza: cooked chicken, barbecue sauce, red onions, and mozzarella cheese
- Hawaiian pizza: ham, pineapple, and mozzarella cheese
- Breakfast pizza: scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and cheddar cheese
- Cream cheese pizza: replace the pizza sauce with cream cheese for a unique twist
Gluten-Free Pizza Bagels #
For those with dietary restrictions, you can still enjoy pizza bagels by using gluten-free bagels. Just make sure to use gluten-free pizza sauce and toppings as well.
Mini Pizzas and Bagel Bites #
For a fun party snack or appetizer, try making mini pizzas using mini bagels or by cutting regular bagels into smaller pieces. Follow the same cooking methods as above, but adjust the cooking time as needed.
Frequently Asked Questions #
Here are some common questions about bagels and pizza bagels:
Do they boil bagels before they bake them?
Yes, boiling bagels before baking is a traditional method that helps create their unique chewy texture.
Is bagel dough the same as pizza dough?
Bagel dough and pizza dough are similar, but bagel dough usually contains a higher gluten content and is boiled before baking. If you’re interested in an easy pizza dough alternative, check out our two-ingredient pizza dough recipe.
Are bagels unhealthy than donuts?
Bagels can be a healthier option than donuts, as they typically have fewer calories, less fat, and more protein. However, it depends on the specific bagel and donut being compared.
Are bagels healthy or not?
Bagels can be part of a healthy diet when consumed in moderation and when made with whole-grain or gluten-free flours. Be mindful of portion sizes and choose healthier toppings.
Are bagels hard to bake?
Baking bagels can be a bit more involved than other bread products, but with practice, it’s an achievable skill for home bakers.
What goes with pizza bagels?
Pizza bagels can be served with a side salad, fresh fruit, or a bowl of soup for a complete meal.
Should a bagel be toasted or untoasted?
This comes down to personal preference. Toasting a bagel can add a nice crunch, while an untoasted bagel will have a softer texture.
Does a bagel with cream cheese need to be toasted?
Again, this is a matter of personal preference. Toasting a bagel with cream cheese can add a pleasant contrast of textures, while an untoasted bagel with cream cheese will have a softer, smoother mouthfeel.
Should you wet your bagel before toasting?
There’s no need to wet your bagel before toasting. If you want a softer, chewier texture, simply toast it for a shorter amount of time.
Do you toast bagels for a bagel bar?
For a bagel bar, you can offer both toasted and untoasted bagels to cater to different preferences. Consider providing a toaster or toaster oven so guests can toast their bagels to their liking.